Yesterday marked my return to blogging after a summer’s hiatus. I was going to post this yesterday, after reading this post on the blog of my friend Alex. I loved reading her post and learning more about her. I honestly don’t know if anyone cares much to know more about me, but for me, this is a good exercise in getting back into writing mode. I know this list will be difficult for me to write.
The idea is to present 20 random facts about yourself, so that people might get to know you better.
Here I go!
1. My favorite book is “The Mists of Avalon” by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and I’ve read it about 20 times. I just recently listened to it on audiobook. I love her fresh perspective on Arthurian legend.
2. I cry about ten times a day, sometimes more. I’m extremely sensitive to emotional stimuli. Sometimes a TV commercial makes me cry, sometimes a baby animal. Sometimes it’s something I’ve read. Sometimes I cry while watching Star Trek. I always cry while watching Doctor Who. Tears do not equate with depression.
3. I was born with severely clubbed feet and had to wear braces and casts. The cast on my right leg grew into my calf, and I almost lost my leg. I have a long scar up my right leg. My feet are straight now, but this part of me was a constant reminder when I took ballet class and my teacher would complain about my awful feet. One day, I told him this, and he never kvetched at me about my feet again. I am grateful to have been able to have this problem taken care of when I was a baby. If I was born 100 years ago, I would most certainly not have been able to walk.
4. I absolutely detest American football, and can’t figure out why this upsets people so much.
5. Despite being a very quiet, introverted person, I enjoy adventurous things. In the past year, I’ve gone whitewater rafting twice, and zip lining at the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica. I also love roller coasters!
6. I have one tattoo, which I got in 1993. It is black ink only, and is a band of roses and thorns from an Aubrey Beardsley illustration.
7. When I was briefly married, my husband volunteered to work on John Edward’s campaign. He refused to do the phone call portion of it, and made me do it. This was one of the most frightening things I’ve done in my life, to be honest. I had to make hundreds of phone calls to people I did not know, and ask them political things. I was horrible at it, as most Autistic people probably would be. I cried myself to sleep every night for the month I had to make those calls.
8. I had an opportunity to move to Italy for nine months out of each year, several years ago. I almost set it into motion, but I realized that being introverted, quiet, and Autistic didn’t lend itself well to Italian culture in general, when my Italian friends told me that most people found me to be “strange” and “depressed”, including them.
9. If I wasn’t a Mother, I would most definitely have applied for the Mars One mission.
10. My favorite food is pizza, which is rather sad, because I have tested positive for food sensitivities to both gluten and dairy- and eating pizza makes me feel terrible.
11. Although I’ve made a lot of progress in terms of self acceptance, overall, I still feel unliked and misunderstood by most. I’m not sure how to ever shake this.
12. I’m proudly Pagan, which means that I have eschewed my early life’s religious indoctrination in the Baptist church. I consider myself to be a spiritual person, but not religious. I am a solitary. I try to be as in tune with nature as I can be.
13. I’m a single woman and a single mother by choice, and by a promise I made to my Son. When my very abusive marriage was coming to a close in 2010, I found out that my husband had been abusing my Son. This left him with much to work through, and a general fear of the same thing happening again. I made my Son a promise back in 2010 that it would never happen again, and I will keep that promise. I’ve also learned that trying to be in a relationship was a top source of much of my life’s turbulence. I feel it is very sad that our society measures people’s worth by whether or not they are in a relationship. I’ve never been happier, while not being in one. I don’t miss it at all.
14. I wrote a book back in 2002 and it was published. Every 6 months I get a royalty check, and that check is always a nice surprise to receive. I was recently able to start paying myself a paycheck every two weeks, so I hope to save my royalty checks towards a downpayment on a little house! My book is “Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals” and you can find it an Amazon, B&N and most major book sellers.
15. My favorite music is, and always will be classical music. I play the violin, and not as well, the piano.
16. Every time I go outside at night and look up into the sky, I am struck with wonder and stand there, still as a statue for at least 5 minutes.
17. I have a birthmark on my stomach which exactly matches the star pattern of the Pleiades star cluster. I first noticed this when I was a little girl.
18. While I hate being uncomfortable, I wish I could dress every day like I lived at a Renaissance Fair. This would probably only last 15 minutes after putting on such a dress.
19. I plan to own a flock of Silkie chickens in the very near future.
20. I am very passionate about many things in the political arena, but I seldom discuss or share things like this on my Facebook page because when I do, I get the definite idea that I am pissing people off. And that makes me insanely uncomfortable.
21. This was very difficult list for me to write.