Thousands of people around the world are following a very simple and healthy diet plan called OMAD.
This is where you eat all of your calories in a 1-hour window and allow your body to rest and digest for the remaining 23 hours.
This diet is a form of ‘intermittent fasting and is one of the best ways to lose weight by boosting the metabolism.
However, the benefits go well beyond weight loss, As eating only once a day, triggers the expression of certain genes that promote health.
With this in mind, let’s take a look at the 8 amazing health benefits of eating only one meal per day.
Afterward, I’ll share some tips on how to do this diet correctly. Just my usual reminder this video is for educational purposes only, so do speak to a doctor if you have any health concerns.
1. Stronger Joints When you fast for at least 12 hours per day, your brain produces more human growth hormone (HGH).
This reduces stiffness, swelling, and pain in your joints and has been shown to repair damaged cartilage and joint tissue.
2. Blood Pressure Fasting also helps to normalize blood pressure by lowering insulin resistance and helping to control your blood sugars.
This helps to lower inflammation in the arteries, to promote healthy blood flow from the heart to the rest of the body.
3. Brain Function If you eat more than 2-3 meals a day, with snacks you will often feel tired and have poor mental focus.
However, not eating for 23 hours boosts the production of BDNF in your brain by 400%. (Brain-Derived Neurotropic Factor).
The helps you to think more clearly, with more mental focus, higher energy levels, and better concentration.
BDNF actually stimulates the growth of new healthy brain cells and protects existing nerves in the body.
4. Reduced Hunger When eating only one meal a day, your cells become more sensitive to a hormone called insulin.
This helps to control your blood sugars, and tap into your body fat as a source of clean energy.
After a week or two, you will notice your hunger levels diminishing as your blood sugars normalize and your body becomes more healthy.
If your find this information useful, please go ahead and tap the like button, subscribe, and turn all notifications on, So I can keep you updated with health and nutrition tips.
5. Anti Aging The fifth benefit of eating one meal a day is its anti-aging effects. When you cut down to one meal a day, your body starts to express certain genes that help fight the aging process.
Fasting also causes your liver to make more antioxidants, helping to produce healthier-looking skin and flexible arteries to improve blood flow.
This helps your body fight oxidation to keep your cells and mitochondria healthy. Helping to reduce the risk of cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Immunity When you don’t eat for 18 hours or more, your body enters a phase called autophagy. This is where your cells start to recycle and clean up old dead proteins, cleaning out uses pathogens and harmful toxins from your system.
This naturally boosts your immune system helping to make your body more resistant to diseases and infections.
- Muscle Health
Many people are concerned about muscle loss when eating less frequently. However many athletes and scientific studies have proven that fasting actually helps to preserve healthy muscle mass because it stimulates human growth hormone.
If you work out and exercise in a fast state, it can actually help you to build muscle faster. Just make sure to meet your protein requirements when eating your single meal.
- Gut Health If you suffer from any digestive disorders, like Crohn’s disease, IBS, acid reflux, or indigestion then eating one meal a day can help you.
Because you allow your body to ‘rest and digest’ you are taking the stress off the digestive system, allowing time for it to heal.
Eating OMAD helps produce stem cells that heal the lining of the gut, whilst taking the pressure off your gallbladder, liver, and pancreas.
How To Do OMAD Correctly?
Start by cutting down to two meals per day in a window of around 5 hours. There is no need to cut calories when doing this.
OMAD Clock Vector Then when you get used to this new eating pattern, simply cut it down to one meal a day. You will find that your hunger levels will diminish as your metabolism adapts to this way of eating.
When you do eat, consume extremely nutrient-dense foods like cruciferous vegetables, healthy fats, proteins, and wild seafood.
You want to make sure that you are giving your body lots of nutrients so that it can do its work in healing and cleaning up damage within trillions of cells.
Try to limit starchy, sugary, and processed foods as these will spike your blood sugar and make you feel more hungry during your fast.
Do I Need To Supplement?
Note that when you eat OMAD, your body starts to recycle vitamins and nutrients, meaning that your RDAs go down.
However, the need for B-vitamins and minerals goes up, because your body uses these to burn fat.
I recommend eating 2-3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast daily before fasting, to help your body burn body fat into energy, and keep you feeling motivated and engaged.
I also recommend getting lots of minerals and trace minerals. You can use an electrolyte powder blend to do this or consume lots of bone broth, shellfish, and mixed seeds.