What Are Tonsil Stones?
First, I’ll explain what tonsil stones are. The tonsils are two oval-shaped pads in the back of your throat, which help to block bacteria and germs from entering your body.
The tonsils have lots of crevices, tunnels, and pits which we call crypts. These spaces often get clogged up with germs that start to stick together in little clumps.
These microbes start to build a shield around themselves called a biofilm, to protect themselves against your immune system.
Basically, this is like a small calcium coating that becomes hardened and forms a tonsil stone in the back of your throat.
Tonsil stones usually occur after a bout of tonsillitis or after taking antibiotics drugs which can weaken your immune system.
They can also flare up when you consume too much dairy or sugar because these cause a build-up of mucus in the throat.
Tonsil Stone Symptoms Now let’s take a look at the symptoms. You’ll notice small white/yellowish-colored stones if you look at your tonsils in the mirror.
These can vary in size between 1mm to 1cm, and may sometimes appear black if they have been there for many months.
Your breath may smell like rotten eggs, because the microbes inside the little biofilm shells, give off sulfur gas that has an unpleasant smell.
Sometimes the stones can cause a metallic taste in the mouth And can cause a sore throat that comes back again and again throughout the year.
Now we will take look at 5 simple remedies that you can use to get rid of tonsil stones and prevent them from returning.
Just my usual reminder, this article is for educational purposes only so do speak to your doctor if you have any medical concerns.
- Remedy 1: Oregano Oil Start taking 2-3 capsules of wild oregano oil on a daily basis. This is a powerful natural remedy that helps to break up the biofilm around the tonsil stones and kill the harmful microbes within them.
You can also use oregano oil in a neti pot with water to rinse your sinuses if you have chronic sinus infections.
- Remedy 2: Manual Removal Some tonsil stones are very stubborn and may need to be removed manually.
You can use a water pick. This is a device that you can use to gently shoot water at your tonsils to loosen the stones so that they fall out.
Try not to swallow the stones however as they may upset your stomach. If you prefer, ask your ENT to remove them.
- Remedy 3: Eat Garlic Garlic is a natural antibiotic, which helps kill off any harmful microbes or viruses, without damaging your friendly bacteria.
Eating 1-2 cloves per day raw can help to break up the calcium shell (biofilm) around the tonsil stones. Garlic also boosts your immunity to pathogens and infections.
- Remedy 4: Oral Hygiene If you consume lots of sugary foods, or refined carbohydrates these may be feeding the germs in your tonsils, making the stones come back again and again.
It’s important to cut out the sugar from your diet and keep your mouth and throat clean, by brushing your teeth and gargling with salt water every night before you sleep.
- Remedy 5: Quit Dairy Finally, if you have tonsil stones for months or even years, then it’s highly recommended to temporarily stop consuming dairies, like milk, cheese, and yogurt, whilst you use the other remedies in this article.
Dairy causes a build-up of mucus in the throat, which can make it hard to treat the underlying cause of tonsils stones.
As you can see tonsil stones are caused by harmful germs which cluster together in the crypts of the tonsils and build a little calcium shield around themselves.
These microbes build the shell so that they can survive, and protect themselves against your immune system.
If you’ve suffered from this problem long-term, then try out the 5 remedies in this article and see how well they work for you.
This is a problem that I personally suffered with for many years, but after using these tips no longer have any tonsil stones.
I recommend also cleaning up your diet and eating lots of anti-inflammatory foods like extra virgin olive oil, avocados, whole lemons, apple cider vinegar, and leafy green vegetables.
This will help to bring down inflammation in your throat whilst you use these remedies.